experience spans over twenty-five years for over 200 clients including
twenty-five publications, five recent books, numerous patents, and key
contributions to commercial developments such as Kapton polyimide film, high
performance composites, novel consumer products, and engineered materials.
Present technical development focus is on
smart sensors, self-renewable coatings, and composites. Our Associates are
world class scientists with skills in many areas of polymer science and
Our business activities cover many key areas of polymer
- Smart sensors and Self-renewable Coatings
- Engineering Resins, Alloys and Blends
- High Performance Materials, Composites
- Thermoplastic Elastomers, Polymer Films
- Biodegradable Polymers, Recycling
- Product & Market Development
- Polymer Processing and Scale-up
- Technology Transfer & Strategic Planning
Applications involve medical, electrical, automotive, aerospace,
marine, defense, homeland security, industrial and consumer products. If your requirements include these or other related areas
we stand ready to help.
A summary of recent projects describing PEL's capabilities are
shown below. We can meet your needs in materials technology as well
as defense & security requirements with experience and integrity. Your inquiries are invited. Please email email@example.com or call (860) 448-6522.
We have successfully completed many projects and applications
examples of which follow:
Alloys & Blends/Reactive Processing
- Novel Alloys and blends with superior cost/performance benefits.
- PET/PC alloys with unique compatibilizer.
- Reactive processing to develop TPE's, e.g., elastomer modified PET/Nylon,
PP/Nylon, and PET/PP
- Novel PS/cellulosic blends in co-extruded products.
- Enhanced properties of PP blends using coupling agents.
- Twin-screw extrusion of alloys & blends for specialty fibers.
II. Engineering Resins
- Entry into the engineering plastics business.
- New PET engineering plastic compounds with improved productivity and
- Condensation polymer applications for aromatic multifunctional acids and
- Evaluation of acetal copolymer in building applications.
- Design of polycarbonate optical products.
- PET nucleation/processing/and applications.
- Solid state PET polymerization and scale up for various markets.
- Design and construction of manufacturing facility for PET intermediates.
III. High Performance & Liquid Crystal Polymers
- High temperature polyimide matrix resins, adhesives, and coatings.
- Kevlar cyclic loading, creep behavior, and stress rupture.
- Design and fabrication of pilot plant to manufacture polyamide acids and
- Liquid crystal polymer study including product performance, market
assessment, and patent summary.
IV. Composite Materials
- Honeycomb materials, structure, method of manufacture, and application to
- Radar absorbing composites.
- PET composite family: including glass filled, mineral filled, toughened
and flame retardant grades.
- Glass reinforced polypropylene: mold shrinkage and tool design.
V. Polymer Compounds
- High heat polypropylene compounds for automotive/under the hood.
- Flame retardant polypropylene compounds (non-halogen) for lawn and garden.
- Design and construction of a manufacturing facility for compounding.
VI. Thermoplastic Elastomers (TPE/TPV) & Rubber
- Thermoplastic polypropylene vulcanizates, and mixing/curing conditions as
key to morphology/properties.
- Assessment of candidates for strategic TPV compounding alliance.
- Patent evaluation of new TPE automotive bumper materials.
- Failure mechanisms of EPDM as compared to natural rubber.
VII. Biodegradable Polymers & Recycling
- Routes to upgraded biodegradable products.
- Polylactic acid technology and applications.
- PET, HDPE, and co-mingled plastic recycling technology for good business
and good will.
- Worldwide patent assessment of new biodegradable products.
VIII. Polymer Films
- Kapton polyimide film adhesion to plastic substrates.
- Tailoring polyimide film characteristics.
- Barrier films of inorganic oxides coated onto PET via vacuum deposition.
- Saran resin optimization as a barrier/heat seal coating.
- Polyimide film structure/process/property relations.
- Oriented, crystalline polycarbonate capacitor film technology.
- Laser light scattering determination of macromorphology in PET, and PP
- Heat-setting and relaxation of PET film.
IX. Conductive Plastics & ESD/EMI Applications
- Compounded conductive carbon fibers and particulate.
- Clear conductive plastic films.
- Additives to provide electrostatic decay in plastic packaging material.
- Tailored silicone thermoset adhesive for EMI application.
X. Medical Applications
- Elimination of stress cracking of polycarbonate and ABS in IV disposable
- Conductive plastic coatings for angioplasty guidewire design.
- Optimization of formulations and processing of orthopedic splint products.
- Composite design of invasive medical guidewire.
- Techniques of metallizing polyester film for medical applications.
XI. Markets/Applications & Technology Transfer
- Markets and applications for improved impact polystyrene.
- Polypropylene: markets/players/technology.
- Technology transfer & licensing strategy for polyolefin blends.
- Licensing polystyrene technology-key product/marketing/and manufacturing
- Plastic material applications in the furniture industry.
- Process for making polymeric microspheres
- Method to clean SO2 and NOx from power plant
- Process for obtaining inorganic salts from biomass
- Polyimide technology, scale-up, applications, and opportunities.
- PET technology, applications, and new opportunities.
XII. Polymer Processing
- Processing experience includes: extrusion, co-extrusion, compounding,
reactive processing, injection molding, compression molding, pultrusion,
prepreging, autoclave, hot press lamination, filament winding, thermoforming,
blister packaging, radiation curing, and decorative coating.
XIII. Adhesion & Coatings
- Nylon 6,6 bonding to Teflon.
- Kapton adhesion to aluminum aircraft components.
- Causes of adhesion failure on injection molded polypropylene.
- Unique polyurethane hot melt adhesive blends for home interior
- Adhesives for structural and bonding applications, (e.g., cyanoacrylates,
vinyl acetates, epoxies).
- Weatherable protective coatings for acrylics.
- Improved weatherability of PVF materials.
- Unsaturated polyester formulation for wire/cable encapsulation in the
- Epoxy spray coating formulations on aluminum substrate.
- Thermoset silicones for automotive under the hood.
XV. UV Curing Technology
- Conversion of rotary offset and letterpress printing department to UV
- Bimonthly newsletter -- PEL Plastic Update -- which focuses on "hot
button" issues in polymer and plastics technology. Recent topics include:
catalysis, biopolymers, smart/functional polymers, alloys and blends, and
XVII. Recent Books
1. Five recent books
cover recent materials developments from 1996 to 2001.
nanotechnology, electrical/electronics, computer memory
biotechnology advances, and smart materials applications. See
Tables of Contents in
Book Section ("PEL Annual Update").
Top of page